Harbour Edge House

The existing villa, built c.1910, is one of Auckland’s early waterfront homes sited on the inner Waitemata Harbour.

A rework and extension of the original structure responds to the requirements of modern living while respecting the history, materials and detailing of the Victorian architecture. The design transforms the previously enclosed interior spaces and creates a direct connection to the park-like landholding and coastal outlook.

A new kitchen with screened roof glazing is placed between the original structure and its new twin – this central space conceived as an internal courtyard between the new and the old, descending by full width stairs onto the breadth of the lawn. The new symmetry anchors the two wings and frames the harbour edge outlook.

White painted timber shutters, existing skirting, architrave mouldings and ceiling detail and are continued into contemporary white-polished plaster wall finishes and offset by aged copper and stone slab. A bespoke travertine chimney breast cantilevers over a fire set into the existing floor.

Project Details:

The internal floor area is approximately 400m2 and construction was completed in mid 2014. Fearon Hay’s project team was led by Rachel Higgs and Doug Weir. Tim Hay and Jeff Fearon are the design architects. Photography is by Simon Wilson with styling by Amelia Holmes.